I was just perusing the performance specs on the Zenith site, and noticed with a Jabiru 3300, the  "75% Cruise @8000 ft (TAS)" is listed as 160mph. The next line says Vne is 160mph. Imma assume that is supposed to say (IAS), because I ran across an online TAS calculator that yielded 160mph @ 8000 ft from an indicated airspeed of 138mph. What is the story on this? What if you pushed it to 162mph @ 9000 ft TAS, but you are still indicating 138mph? Is it the general assumption that you are safe as long as the IAS is below Vne? 

Also, what does the ASI look like for your plane with the green arc/yellow arc locations? Is there a specific model you buy to install recommended by Zenith?

Thanks for any answers

George

Views: 901

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

George, Thank you for asking this question and thank you to everyone else who provided honest non company line answers. I just joined the group planning to ask this exact question as I don't know of any other kit plane that advertises their cruise speed to be the same as Vne. I flew a factory demo ride with Roger a long time ago (prior to the "B" thing) and noticed he never got close to 160 IAS, but assumed he was just keeping the throttle back since we never went more than about 8 miles from the airport. It's both bothersome and a relief that the factory is publishing a badly exaggerated cruise speed that won't actually put me 1 MPH away from being a test pilot. I dreamed of a 601-HD, then a 601-XL, then a 650, was briefly distracted by the Cruzer, and now I'm finally in a good position to either get started or buy one that's already built. If I do end up building, a Viking 130 will be hired to play Rudolph for my new sleigh. One safety concern on that decision was having too much snort if it could easily overspeed the aircraft. Apparently, that's just not something to worry about. 

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service