I am going through my first annual with this plane and I am looking for the proper flap deflection angle. I found a reference in the AMD from July 09 (page 3-10) that states the flap range should be changed from 30 to 20 degrees. I currently have 30 degrees and at that setting I do not have enough trim to counter the nose down effect so I don't use "full" flaps very often. Do most of you guys use the 20 degree configuration?

Views: 299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use full flaps for every landing, except in gusty conditions. Yes, I run out of trim and it takes some strength to hold it. In order to assist with maintaining a stable approach I added a 4" high x 6" pad that is velcroed to the top of the center armrest. This provides a support to rest my elbow on. Being able to lock my arm in place has helped with my full flap landings. 

I suppose there is nothing wrong with not using full flaps. I've heard a number of 601/650 pilots who don't use them. I've just had it hammered into my head about always using the slowest possible touchdown speed.   

Sorry folks - forgot to update this with what I found out ....  

I called Zenith and they said it is fine to leave it at 30 degrees - it is not necessary to change to 20.  They said that the older style flap motor (as mine has) is built for 30 degree deflection and it would be very difficult to change to 20 degrees.  The adjustment on the limit switches does not allow one to reduce the travel to 20 degrees.  And those little limit switches are EXPENSIVE ($80) - I broke one while fiddling with it to try to reduce the travel before I called them.  (Wish I called them first.)  The newer style flap motors are rigged for 20 degree flaps - but retrofitting would not be worth the cost.  I'll keep the 30 degrees.  I usually only land at 20 to keep within the trim range - but its nice to have the 30 if I need it.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service