Hello all,

I saw a Ch701 on amphibs for sale recently, a coworker actually showed me the add off of barnstormers if my memory serves correctly. 

The aircraft was advertised as having a 1400lb max gross. I am wondering for those in the know how this is achievable? what modifications must be made to the airframe to achieve this?

for the sake of Canadian regulations and my own personal aircraft I do not wish to modify my existing plane, however, I am very curious how this individual is getting the extra 300lbs out of the 701.

thanks for any insight,

Mike.

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suspect they were being a bit cagey by using design test weight instead of recommended gross weight. 

Mark: C-GTLO
Common Name:  Zenair
Model Name: CH-701 STOL
Serial No.:7-5310
Basis for Eligibility for Registration: CAR Standard 549 - Amateur Built Aircraft
Category: Aeroplane
Engine: 1, Piston
Max Take-Off Weight:
648.64 kg
It is registered with Transport Canada as a MTOW of 1430lbs so it is legitimate.
I'm only guessing here, but they probably re-registered the aircraft in Canada from the US Light Sport registration (see below) which allows for 1430Lbs for a seaplane.  Perhaps they also did a climb test at 1430Lbs and submitted it to Transport Canada at gross and they accepted it.
The FAA defines a light sport aircraft as an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered lift, that since its original certification, has continued to meet the following: Max. gross takeoff weight: 1,320 lbs (600 kg) or 1,430 lbs for seaplanes (650 kg) Max.

Thanks for the insight. Clearly an 1100lb 701 is well within the safety margins! 

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service