So it's time to replace my 121.5 ELT with a combination 121.5/406. The install of the ELT and cockpit wiring are pretty straight forward, but the replacement of the antenna has got me at a bit of a loss. 

The ELT antenna itself is located on the top of the fuse just forward of the tail faring. I can't figure out how to get to it easily to get it out and the new one in.

After staring at it for an hour or two and talking it over with the other airport guys who are sympathetic with my plight we came up with a few options. 

1. Disconnect the control cables and get someone skinny to climb back there and undo it. I'm not sure the skin will support the weight of someone in there, or if it's even feasible to climb past the flaperon controls. Looks barely doable and I would support the tail of the plane with some wood topped with foam. Still seems like a risk for damage. Has anyone done climbed back in there and come out unscathed?

2. Cut an access hole under the antenna and reach up from the underside. Looks like my arm would just be long enough. Probably wouldn't be a fun job and I don't necessarily like that idea too much. 

3. Leave the ELT antenna as it is and install the 406 ELT antenna where the current com antenna is, then move the com antenna to a bent whip under the fuselage. This is probably the easiest option, even though a bit silly as it leaves useless stuff on the plane. But, least risk of damage. 

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Views: 189

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice!  As they saying goes - "...many ways to skin a cat..."

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service