New AD from the FAA for Rotax 912 and 914 engines. Requires carburetor float replacements.

AD 2016-23-04 becomes effective December 7th 2016. Here is the meat of it: 

(c) Applicability

This AD applies to BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG Rotax model 912 F2, 912 F3, 912 F4, 912 S2, 912 S3, and 912 S4 engines, and Rotax 914 F2, 914 F3, and 914 F4 engines with:

(1) Engine serial numbers (S/Ns) listed in Planning Information, Paragraph 1, Criterion A, of BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG Alert Service Bulletin (ASB) ASB-912-069R1/ASB-914-051R1 (one document), Revision 1, dated July 22, 2016.

(2) Carburetor part numbers (P/Ns) and S/Ns listed in Planning Information, Paragraph 1, Criterion B, of BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG ASB ASB-912-069R1/ASB-914-051R1 (one document), Revision 1, dated July 22, 2016; or

(3) Carburetor floats, P/N 861185, that do not have 3 dots molded on the surface, and installed after May 9, 2016.

(d) Reason

This AD was prompted by a report of a quality escape in the manufacturing of the affected carburetor floats. We are issuing this AD to prevent failure of the carburetor float, failure of the engine, in-flight shutdown, and loss of the airplane.

(e) Actions and Compliance

Comply with this AD within the compliance times specified, unless already done.

(1) Within 25 flight hours (FHs) or 30 days after the effective date of this AD, replace any affected carburetor float with a float that is eligible for installation in accordance with the Accomplishment Instructions, Paragraph 3, of BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG Rotax ASB ASB-912-069R1/ASB-914-051R1 (one document), Revision 1, dated July 22, 2016.

(2) After the effective date of this AD, do not install on any engine a carburetor float, P/N

861185, delivered between May 8, 2016, and July 17, 2016, that does not have 3 dots molded into the surface. If the delivery date is not documented, do not install the part.

You can look at the whole thing on the FAA.gov website.  I don't know how many of you fly carbureted Rotax but might want to take a look at this as it seems there was a manufacturing error on some floats.

Views: 520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting this Rodney. 

Looks like I need to pull the my floats and check some part numbers.  Probably be a good time to check for any debris in the bowls anyway.

Tim

I can't seem to find what serial numbers are affected. I saw a report that said no USA engines are involved? Probably easy do just drop the bowls and check the floats.

I saw that too and I think it was the FAA saying no certified engines envolved.  The service bulletin from Rotax has the affected serial numbers but does not limit it to only engine serial numbers.  They're listing carburetor part numbers and serial numbers as well as any carburetors that may have had the floats replaced as a repair.  It gives information on a "dot" pattern on the float that will indicate if it is good/bad.

I'm with you and am going to the hanger in a bit to have a look at the floats.

FYI: The bulletin list this as a "Mandatory" Alert Service Bulletin.     Mandatory or not I'm greatful for the "heads-up" on this.

Still like'n my rotax,

Tim

Hopefully we dont need new floats as they will probably be $200 as all Rotax parts are expensive.  Still love my Rotax. Less then 5 gallons an hour, with auto fuel is where we save the money and get super reliabilty. 175K Rotax engines flying including all models, nice.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service