This Q&A is now closed and replaced with a new Q&A based on the latest upgrade drawings at http://zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/data/6-ZU-NOV24.pdf

To all 601XL and 650 builders and aircraft owners. If you have a specific question regarding the upgrade, post it here and I will consult with Chris Heintz so that we can give you the best possible answer. Please be specific about your questions.

When posting a question or replying to an existing comment, PLEASE add it to end of the last page.

Zenith Aircraft is upgrading its 601 XL, so a lot of questions are answered on the step-by-step Blog Posts on this main page.

Views: 6336

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Michael,

I´m Alberto builder of an US ZAC 601 XL serial 6-7011, and helping my friend Jorge with the building of his XL serial 6-7036, both are located in Barcelona, Spain

The question is about two other friends of mine and theirs CZAW 601 XL UL version and the FAA upgrade.

Does a CZAW 601 have to comply to this upgrade? . One is a QB that has flown 400+ hs, and the other one is at 85% of completion with wings and fuselage ready.

Please, let us know, Thanks in advance,
Chris Heintz will be issuing a similar upgrade but less extensive for the European Micrlights at 450-470kg in the very near future. For the Experimental / home-built version at 600 kg, same upgrade is required.
We understand that it is frustrating for an owner to upgrade his/here aircraft especially with +400 hours of trouble free flying. However, to be on the safe side, it is better that we all upgrade.
Hola Mathieu.
Estoy terminando la construcion de mi zodiac 601 xl . CZAW . ¿deberia instalar el kit de actualizacion? .
En caso afirmativo ¿ Donde y como podria pedirlo?.
Gracias de antemano.
Saludos.
Julio.
In English, I believe that this translates (google translation) to:

Hi Mathieu.
I'm finishing the construction of my zodiac 601 XL. CZAW. Should I put the upgrade kit? .
If so, where and how to ask?.
Thanks in advance.
Greetings.
July.

You will be able to purchase the upgrade kit from Zenair Europe.
http://www.zenairulm.com/Home/index.htm
We will have more information on this at the above Zenair Europe web site shortly.
Mathieu,
On many vehicles made in this country, the structors are bonded together with a special tape. I have also seen rotorblades bonded this way on their trailing edges. That said, instead of drilling out the solid rivets on tha main spar, could the angle be match drilled where the rivets are so the angle just fits flush with the spar and then bonded with this special bonding tape. It would eliminate the drilling out of all solid rivets.
Alan Sorry for the double post.
Interesting concept. However, we did not do our structural load tests with this bonding system, so I cannot recommend it. See the Zenith video on how they removed their solid rivets. It does take a bit of time, but there are not that many.
http://www.zenith.aero/profiles/blogs/part-3-installing-the-upgrade
Your existing part 6W7-2 does not get removed. 6W7-3 gets replaced with 6-ZU1-5.
Although I agree with many that the original design was good, I am doing the upgrade and appreciate the detailed support.

While we are doing this, is it a good time to use better bolts on the wing attachment? They appeared to be the only thing that failed at ultimate load. My calculations are that using high strength bolts, hardened washers, or even better a strip of steel and then higher torque would increase the clamping force and take some of the load off the sides of the bolts and holes. Even if it only increased the point of "damage" by 1 G, it seems worth it.

I still wonder if these aircraft need all the elevator and rudder control they have. Perhaps they still have too much.
We passed and exceeded the ultimate by about 6% without the bolts failing. The same bolts were used for other tests, so I am not sure how perfect they were before the last test. Note that the LSA load requirements are significantly higher than typical FAR 23, to what the original 601XL was designed for. I would stick to the original bolts as harder bolts could create new problems.

Regarding elevator/rudder deflections, 99% of the time, you do not need that much deflection. Its when you are doing very slow flying that you may need it.

Chris likes to design his aircraft with lots of control at low speeds, but when flying fast, over controlling is possible. This is why its important to understand Va and Vc and to have a good calibrated and well marked ASI.
In the upgrade, we are adding 0.063 to the spar bolt area, which will increase the structure around the bolts.
Absolutely and very good idea. Add 0.063 to the jig as to represent the total width of the spar cap area, top and bottom.
There is a lot of talk about light stick forces, especially pitch control. I thought I saw early-on that springs would be added to increase stick forces. Are these part of the upgrade kit, and if not, why not? If they are not part of the kit, can someone advise as to where and how they could be installed? I was considering doing this even before all the problems arose. I fly a Cherokee, and don't like twitchy controls.

Jim Snyder

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service