Engine was inadvertantly rotated in wrong direction two revolutions. Will this damage the engine. and is there anything that must be done in the way of service to correct an issue. Thanks

Views: 1497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Thomas
I did my training in a Sportstar with a 912S 100hp. I was cautioned by my instructor not to rotate the prop backwards as it may damage the vac pump for the AH. I am not aware of any other components that might be damaged. I am not a Rotax expert but I thought that I might let you in on the info that I had seeing that no one else has. Have you asked your question to the Rotax dealer?

Phill
No not yet with the holiday and all. W ill call them tommorow
I know on oil changes they caution you not to do it because it can draw air into he hydraulic tappets I'd say you would be unlucky for it to happen though. Definately talk to some more experienced with rotax engines just to be safe.
Both problems that I am aware of have been mentioned.

Rotating ANY vacuum pump equipped engine backwards might damage the pump (assuming it is a vane type pump, which most are).

Rotating a four stroke Rotax backwards causes the oil pump to rotate backwards and pumps air into the oil pressure lube system. I do not know exactly what problems this causes, but I know it can be a problem. Hopefully, when you talk to the experts tomorrow, they can tell you how to undo whatever problem may have been generated. Good luck.

Let us know what you learn, please. Always good to have knowlege.
Just rotate the crankshaft in the correct direction unitll bubbles are heard in the oil tank. This will force oil through the engine and reprime the hydraulic lifters and the camshaft journals.
You are not the first! And you are not the last!!! Most never own up to it... Apart from the warning above... this is what we do....

We had a student do it - it CAN put air in the system but all we did is the correct oil level check ie.

1. Check Mags are off, key is out, throttle is back.
2. remove the cap from the oil reservoir and the dip stick (the cap must be off and you must be able to listen to the cap orifice!)
3. Rotate the prop SLOWLY in the correct direction until it 'burps' (about 3 to 10 times)
4. wait about 5 seconds
5. dip the oil tank (should be between the middle and upper level - the upper level if for a long flight)
6. Replace the dip stick and secure the cap
7. Replace the cowling and prepare the aircraft for an engine run.
8. Start the engine and check for oil pressure in the first few seconds (1.5 - 5 bar although up to 7 for a few seconds if it is REALLY cold and you have a thick oil).

If you are unsure, run it up on the ground for 15mins and check all the 'vitals'.

Never fly unless you are comfortable with the engine and airframe - NEVER.

Finally, the Rotax is, generally, a very solid and forgiving engine -WE LOVE THEM!!!
Thanks everyone for the info, Did normal oil check with burp and all was well.. Now have 1.4 hrs on engine with ground use and it is wonderful. During taxi tests the engine has run very cool, which I am extremely pleased with.. Ran fast taxi tests and the bad girl wants to leave the ground real bad!. Hope inspection will be in next few weeks and then she can go.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service