First off , if you have a need to get off short , true STOL , there is no substitute for slats , end of discussion , my question is ??has anyone changed ,for the better , the slat position from the stock position , [110 out on bottom 16 up on top and flush with the bottom of the wing ]??, I'm at the position now to install and am open to tested changes that don't decrease lift.

Views: 918

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bob,

CH701 fixed slats are now fixed. No change.

There is an untested and untried idea for CH701 Swing Slats. The slat supports at the slat ribs and at wing nose ribs (and the installation of the slats) need to be modified. I haven't finished rebuilding. Slow work and often get interupted. Take a look at supercub dot com and tell me if you want to know more and I will send message to your Inbox.

Champ

Hi Champ,

Did you manage to install and use your swing slats ? 

thank you Champ & Lawrence,although the charts are very informative , they are difficult to correlate to the existing 701 wing , I was contacted by someone that told Me that their test on drooping showed improvement in lift off but not noticeable on landing and a cruse speed decrease so as always everything has a trade off , I have decided to stay with the way Chris designed it , but thanks for your input ..BOB 

Bob, 

According to your question : are there different slats positions according to the different 701 wings or different serial numbers ?

For mine, in the construction manual (Serial number 7-…. Edition #3 January 9 January 96) here are the settings :

However, I think I saw a lower position with different clearance on another manual. I will try to find it.
how about yours ?

Here is a video you probably already watched. This is about CH750. They say they re-positioned the slats. 
Did someone tried this on 701 ?

https://youtu.be/2geXBvpIE0A

Hi Bob,

Here is another stock position for the slats. Sorry about the bad quality of this document, this is the only one I found. Hard to read some figures. 
This lower position should make the 701 « STOLer ». 

Hi Bob,

I tried this slat position :

Approach speed easyly decreases by 5mph. 
Loss of 7 mph at cruising speed. 

I will try another position coming from the STOL CH750 with drooped wing leading edge. And I’ll tell you !

Hello Bob,

Here are 4 other slat positions I tried after the one above.

The only thing that cares for me is the take off and landing performances.

Position 1 and 2 are stock positions. Yours and mine are at position 1.

I didn't tried position 2.

Position 3 is based on the 750. Worst performance of the tries...

Attachments:

I tried other position since the one above. 
Position 1 and 2 are stock positions. 
position 3 is from the super stol 750. And that gives the worst performance. 

I just try to find the shortest distance for take off and landing and the lowest speed when airborne. 

Postions 5 and 6 give the best performances.

Position 6 seems to be better than 5 one.

I will keep the position 6 on my Zenair.

Attachments:

Here is position 3, the slat seems to be too far from the leading edge :

This is position 5 :

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service