I’m trying to figure out an engine for my yet to be finished STOL 750 (not HD). I want 150-160hp so the UL350 will not suffice.  Zenith has a FWF for the 350. Will it work for the 390.  Has anyone put a 390 on the 750? Other options are Viking 150 or Edge performance 912 turbo.

Views: 278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm installing an MWFly 160. Heavier than the Rotax, but lighter than Viking and a 6 cylinder UL. 160 hp, dual FADEC, purpose built aircraft engine. You can get it direct drive or with a reduction box. I chose the reduction for added torque. Price is around 30k for the 160hp.

https://mwfly.it/en/

Thanks for the link, that’s one I know nothing about. Have you received the engine? How is the support for Zenith FWF.

I'm the launch customer for the 160 Spirit in the US. FWF is coming together now. Aviation Composites in GA is building the engine mount and cowling. Everything else comes from MWFly. I hope take delivery at Oshkosh this summer. Nic Dawson is the US dealer. Great guy that has been very helpful. nickdawson@gmail.com

He's an avionics guy by trade and is selling the engine as a side gig. His sonex has an MWFly on it.

Hi, Dave.  Thanks for alerting us to this new engine.  Looks like they might give Rotax a run for their money.  What does Zenith say about the ability of the STOL 750 (NOT SD) to handle 160 HP?  MWFly hinted to me that the 135 might be a better choice for the 750 STOL.

I asked Zenith about using a 160 hp engine and was told that the airframe had been engineered up to 160 hp. I also talked to another well known zenith pilot/builder who was flying the 701 with 130 hp, and he felt very comfortable with 160 hp on the STOL. The engine can also easily be limited in hp if needed through the FADECs. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 135. Unlike another 130hp engine, it produces it's hp at a very usable prop rpm. Each engine is also tuned/ broken in at the factory on a dyno stand. I was told that the published hp is a minimum and that they actual hp is 3 to 10hp more than published.

Hi, Dave.  I'm still considering the MWFly 160 for my 750 STOL.  Interested in how your's is coming along.  Please call me at 760-284-2456.--Dennis

I would encourage you to consider where you will be flying and really be happy with the reliability before purchasing. 

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service