Hi,

I've had this 601xlb with 3300 engine with Bing carb for 2 weeks now. This plane and engine are new territory for me. It ran great with no problems for the ferry flight from Michigan to Kentucky, Due to weather, I've now only been able to get it out twice, and both times I had the same issue.

I followed the checklist, and the engine cranks, but fails to start. I eventually ran the battery down, both times. I charged the battery, which took about 20-25 minutes. Then, I just hit the key, and the engine started immediately. Subsequent starts were immediate, too.

It runs great, and this is the only issue I've had with the engine. Could it be that I'm not priming with the electric fuel pump enough? The checklist calls for 4-5 seconds of prime, then pump off. I don't think I'm flooding it. I'm not familiar with this carb, though, so I don't know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darrell

Views: 2064

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks to everyone for the information.  I will clean up the corrosion,  on the existing ground, the coils, and the flywheel, and I will ground the starter directly.  I don't know how to explain all that corrosion.  The airplane has never been out in the weather.  I suppose it's the same principle that makes battery terminals corrode.

As for the fact that the coils are grounded with the p-leads off, I have been told on another forum that this is normal.  For the life of me, I don't see how it could be, but that's what I was told : "Facebook -- friends of Jabiru".

As for my coils, I'm not sure they're not cheap "knock-off" and not genuine Honda.  I have found the right coil but I know that the lead from the coil is too short.  How do I deal with that?  Will the lead from my existing coil detach for moving to the new coil?  Surely others have dealt with this.

Thank you Darell.  I will clean up corrosion.  As you  can see, there is a lot

I inspected the plugs and they were fine.  The plugs weren't wet when I took them out, but I hadn't tried starting for over an hour when I took them out.  Later, when I tried to start again, my friend said he smelled fuel .  The plugs  gapped at .020.  The flywheel/coil spacing is .010, but there is a lot of corrosion.  At this point, I am convinced that the corrosion is the culprit along with the cold.  In warmer weather, I am able to get by with the corrosion, but at 38F, I cannot.

I have the manuals.  and distributors are on my short-list of items to check if cleaning up corrosion doesn't work.

Coil spark plug lead is usually epoxied into coil body..

It is possible to remove (polite word for "dig out") the epoxied coil leads and replace them with longer ones  - been there, done that!

I modified some genuine Honda coils one time and it worked great.  However, I never was completely trusting of such a critical connection, and eventually replaced the altered coils with high quality CAMit (the alternative Jab engine builder - sadly no longer in business) coils designed specifically for 3300 applications and slept better. LOL!

John

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service