Afternoon All,

I haven't had much luck searching forum so my apologies if its been covered.

I'm closing out my first wing and wondering if I should put a remote magnetometer(Dynon) in first. I would rather not cut an access hole and save the weight and expense of the remote unit. Would prefer just mounting the ADAHARS in the aft fuselage but it's not clear to me yet what will be back there, battery, antennas..and how far away the unit has to be from everything.

So my question is has anyone placed the ADAHARS in the aft fuselage and run into calibration problems? Any 750s flying with the Dynon unit back there?

Thanks! 

Jeff 

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There have been numerous installs aft of the belly panel access hole with no claimed issues.  Fabricate a mounting bracket which you can adjust for level and then you can fine tune transverse level with plastic shim washer if necessary. I used aluminum rivnuts with epoxy and brass screws to avoid any ferrous type fastners.  Good luck!

http://www.zenith.aero/photo/adhars-shelf-bottom/prev?context=user

From the Dynon installation guide

Physical Installation
Observe the following guidelines when choosing a location for an SV-EMS-220/221 Engine Monitor module:
• Do not install on the engine side of the firewall.
• Avoid locations that are subject to severe vibration.
• Avoid locations that are subject to extreme humidity.
• Leave ample working room for electrical connections.

This should give you some ideas

Good to hear! Looks nice think I'll follow suit.

Thanks for response and info.

Jeff

Contact Mark Pensenstadler by PM.   He built a Cruzer and is building a SuperDuty.   Both are full Dynon equipped.

See Mark's mounting solution and leveling base at 2:10 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwvfWZV6Hw&t=9s

Didn't see his video on it although I've watched several. Enjoy his work and info.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and link!

My discussion on the MGL SP-6 Magnetometer details how I mounted it aft of the belly hatch.  Although the mount is not adjustable, with the use of a digital angle finder I was able to perfectly align it with my SP-7 AHRS mounted alongside the central tunnel under the passenger seat in my STOL 750.  West G-Flex has always been my go-to epoxy - when applied with a "scuff through wet epoxy" method, the underlying aluminum will deform before the epoxy bond lets go!

I've had zero issues with the magnetometer in this location.  However, the SP-6 uses a computer chip and an algorithm "that is able to cancel out the effects of magnetically active parts and materials on board the aircraft without any form of external aiding. Very high levels of heading accuracy can be achieved even in very compromised mounting locations where the combined effects of field distortion levels exceed the strength of the Earth's own magnetic field." (Quote from MGL)

It was truly amazing to watch the magnetometer dial-in the compass heading all by itself on the calibration flight!  It has remained extremely accurate ever since.

John

N750A

Thanks John. 

Sounds like works well back there so I’m going to close out my wing and skip a remote wing mount unit. 

Appreciate the help!

Jeff

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service