Hello All,

I recently purchased an almost finished CH 601-HDS with a New Jabiru 3300 (SN 33A 173), and I don’t know anything about these engines. 

A few questions:

1) Can any of you tell me what Gen is my Engine based on the Serial No.? (SN 33A 173)

2) Anything Good you can tell me about this engine? 
3) Anything Bad you can tell me about it? 
4) Anything and Everything you can tell me about it, will be greatly appreciated. 

I will contact the manufacturer for more info on it, but I wanted to ask you all about it since you may have had first hand experience with it, and hopefully share that info. 

Please see pictures attached for reference. 

Thank you in advance!

Adel Bazzi 

Views: 156

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This information was published on the Jabiru Engine Owners Forum:

The information is available in the overhaul manual, available here: https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/JEM0001-22_Overhau...

2.13.14 Solid lifters (Gen 1)
• 2200 and 3300 engines earlier than serial number [22A-2068] or [33A-961] utilise solid lifters driven by a 330° camshaft.

2.13.15 Hydraulic lifters (Gen 2)
• 2200 and 3300 engines from serial number [22A-2068] or [33A-961] use hydraulic lifters.

2.13.16 Roller Followers (Gen 3)
• 2200 and 3300 engines from serial number [22A-3596] or [33A-2539] use hydraulic lifters with roller bases

Gen 4 engines start with 22A3811 and 33A2770 according to the Gen4 overhaul manual

By serial number, your's would appear to be a Gen 1.  The solid lifter engines were supposedly fairly reliable, but difficult to cool - however, they cool easier in lower drag airframes so that's a good fit for a 601.  I'd contact Nick at Arion Aircraft, the Jabiru dealer and repair center for North America, and he can probably give you some good advice about what you have and what you should do as far as upgrades, etc.

Jabiru in Australia has an engine forum and their tech support answers question and are usually quickly responsive, so that's another resource for questions, too.

John

Here are a couple things that I have learned over the last 5 years living with an early gen 1 engine.

Jabiru has several manuals in there support section that are extremely helpful.  There is also a listing of Bulletins concerning these engines, some of which (such as Flywheel Attachment) that are very important and should be addresses prior to your first flight.  The FWF engine installation manuals will be helpful also.

Your engine has the early version starter, it is acceptable, but the newer version is much better.

Your engine does not have the Cylinder Head Cooling Shrouds installed.  Maybe your just not that far along yet, but if yours are the early ivory colored pieces that need some careful consideration.  The ones installed on my engine were not sealed up very well and a lot of the ram air was escaping without doing any productive engine cooling.  There are several threads here that address this issue.

I would recommend at least moving the CHT probe to one of the rear cylinders, if not adding a second probe on the opposite side or a six channel unit for all cylinders.

I like my solid lifter engine, but making sure the valve lash is correct is important.  I check/adjust several times a year.

The early gen 1 engines have an exhaust flange that uses three bolts and a gasket to seal. The later units use a two bolt flange and no gasket.  I have had several gasket failures, so keep a close eye out for signs of exhaust leakage.

The Bing carburetor, if it hasn't been serviced recently, has several important rubber parts that need to be checked out.

I hope all this doesn't discourage you, my engine has never failed me, runs strong and gets many compliments about the great sound it makes.  

I hope all this doesn't discourage you, my engine has never failed me, runs strong and gets many compliments about the great sound it makes. 

I think the only engine that sounds better is a Merlin!  :)

John

Thanks for the reply John and Dave!

I will definitely look into any upgrades I can do to keep my engine from overheating, and as safe as possible. Today I installed the Prop and the Engine Cooling Baffles, and I was ready to start it for the first time, but I guess the Bing Carburetor had other plans for me, and decided to start leaking fuel, so I pulled it out, and will be taking it to get it re-built during the week.

Let’s hope that Incan get it started next weekend.

Thanks again for your help!

Adel Bazzi

Here are a couple Progress Pictures…. 

Attachments:

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service