My 701 is built, registered, AW inspection passed, and ready for Phase 1. I am not a pilot yet but I'm working towards my LSA with a Private pilot CFI. I'm not even sure if this gets me any closer to my goal and its quite expensive. My goal is simply to fly the plane I've spent years building legally. How do I get there? My understanding is that I will still need transition training and the schools are distant. How did you all do it? Did you take time off and go to the niche schools? Did the trainers come fly your plane? Are there any of these places in the South East? I found one in Tennessee but the website was down. Did everyone have to go thru these or is there any other way?

Views: 51

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You obviously need at least a Sport Pilot certificate to legally fly a 701, so you're going to have to complete that requirement regardless of anything else.  If you look to the right on this page, you'll see ads - scroll down to "Builder and Pilot Supplies" and there are at least 2 transition training sources listed - I believe one is a school you would have to travel to and the other is Phil Cook, who I believe will travel to you for transition training, also does first flights and assists with initial flight testing, etc.  The "Buzz Air" transition training in Tennessee is no longer in business.  

The 701 and all the Zenith STOL aircraft fly quite a bit differently from your typical Cessna, etc.  Not unsafe, just different!  Transition training is highly recommended and almost always your insurance company will require either transition training or x number of hours flight experience in a 701, especially in a new or low-time pilot.  A lot of companies will accept transition training or time in a similar Zenith aircraft such as the 750 STOL.

John

N750A

This is an interesting question. It goes to what the restrictions are on a STUDENT pilot who has soloed. Can you just jump in your 701 or are there legal restrictions? I'm not sure. I haven't read anything about this particular aspect of MOSAIC.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 
 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...


Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.


Zenith Homecoming Tee:


Zenair Floats


Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz


Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

 
 

Transition training:

Flying Knuckleheads

Lavion Aero

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2026   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service