Hi Gang

About to order a Gen 4 3300 for my XLB and have a few Q.

It states Please note that the Gen 4 engine cannot use tacho tabs. Please order a Tacho Hall Effect kit if an EMS is not installed.  Now I will be using a Grand Rapids EIS so do I need to order a Tacho Hall Effect? or is an EIS classed as an EMS?

Which is better the Tractor single or duel and straight exhaust pipes? 

For those that may have been before me, someone said the Ram Air ducts on the Gen 4 are larger and that the XLB/650 Jab USA FWF cowls don't fit anymore. Is this correct or just someone speaking BS. Is there any real world stories and not wives tails. The new Heads don't rub on the old cowls do they, I assume its a straight swop over if you already have a Gen 3? 

Any other Engine order suggestions? I have a XLB/650 FWF kit from Jab USA already. 

Getting closer to finished.

Chris

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris, I have a gen4 in my 750 Cruzer.. the only problem I had was that the single exhaust pipe was not long enough to reach outside the cowling.. I just added an extension for the fix.. I don't know how much difference there is between our cowlings but I had no problem with my ram air ducts fitting.. I have been flying mine for 2 1/2 years with no problems at all, I have 400 hrs on it.. John

I've got a 3300 built in the transition from Gen 2 to Gen 3.  I, too, had to add an exhaust extension to adequately clear my 750 STOL's cowl.  If you add an extension, it's a good idea to attach an exhaust hanger to support the pipe and reduce the possibility of the exhaust pipe cracking at the muffler due to unsuspended weight.

John

N750A

Your Grand Rapids EIS should be fine.

'It states Please note that the Gen 4 engine cannot use tacho tabs. Please order a Tacho Hall Effect kit if an EMS is not installed.  Now I will be using a Grand Rapids EIS so do I need to order a Tacho Hall Effect? or is an EIS classed as an EMS?'

In case of electrical connection it shows only one ignition circuit. I.e. during the magneto check it shows the speed drop on one ignition circuit, on the other it drops to zero !
This looks pretty funny and can only be fixed with this extra sensor. The bracket for the sensor is already mounted on the engine.

Your GRT should be fine as an EMS. I'm not qualified to comment on the magneto issue. But again, you should contact Arion Aircraft.

http://www.flylightning.net/

They are the US distributor for Jabiru engines, used to market and build Jabiru aircraft kits, and were once a GRT dealership. They can be difficult to communicate with sometimes, but they should have all, the answers you need.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service